The easiest ways of earning a passive income in Kenya

Published on
August 13, 2022

The easiest ways of earning a passive income in Kenya

Having an income is great, but having multiple sources of income is better. Passive income is a way of earning an extra shilling with little or no effort at all. The Kenyan economy needs people to brace themselves and leverage opportunities that offer passive incomes.

What is passive income?

Regular earnings from sources other than an employer or contractor are considered passive income. Another way to define passive income is that it is earned from a rental property, limited partnership, or other business in which a person is not actively involved. 

Who can earn passive income?

The good news is that anyone can earn this income from different sources. It is limitless. People of all walks of life, of all ages, and from all parts of Kenya have an opportunity to earn decent amounts of income from these sources. It is commonly known as having a "side hustle". This hustle can either be physical or online. 

Passive income can be earned from the following sources;

  • Rental Properties
  • Freelancing 
  • Managing an Airbnb
  • Creating YouTube content
  • Online tutor
  • Affiliate marketing
  • Email marketing 

To mention a few. Earning passive income online is the easiest side hustle in Kenya today.

Here are 5 easy ways to earn passive income online in Kenya today

  1. Using Mobi

Mobi is a ride-hailing app with a new way of making passive income on the move. How?

For drivers, Mobi pays 82% of the passenger fare, with the remaining 18% split between Mobi and participants who have referred others. This is 14% to Mobi and continues to pay 4% to referees each time their referral uses the app. The driver and passenger earn money every time they use Mobi!

Oh, and there is more! Those who are not using Mobito commute can use it for delivery services within a 5km radius. Everybody gets paid with Mobi.

  1. Online courses

The internet has provided convenience to the extent that people can learn from the comfort of their home, anywhere in the world, through an online course. Online courses are, therefore, in demand globally and are an excellent way for experts to sell their skills. Experts come up with the course they want to teach and the outline and objectives of the course. They finally target their niche market and sell to them. A good example is a professor at a university who is recording their teachings and selling them online.

  1. Cryptocurrency 

Crypto is another great way to earn a decent passive income. Although it presents a risk due to fluctuations, individuals in Kenya are investing in cryptocurrency as a source of passive income. Some of the popular cryptos include Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Ripple.

  1. Freelancing 

Individuals can earn a passive income through freelancing by creating a website and showcasing their skills. Freelancing platforms such as Upwork, Fiver, and Guru offer an audience for such gigs. Customers can view an individual's profile and what they offer and compare it to what they need. If a prospect likes what they see, they contact the freelancer and give instructions on what they need to be done. Payments are made after the completion of tasks and customer satisfaction. This is a perfect passive income idea for university students in Kenya.

  1. Online reseller

Through social media, one can quickly become a reseller without investing. Whataspp, for example, has added a new Whatsapp for Business feature where one can create a catalogue, price, and sell their products directly from their phone. This is pretty much possible with all social media platforms. Innovative individuals source products and sell them online at a profit, bridging the gap between retailer and customer.

Final thoughts

In this age and time, earning a passive income has become the norm, more so in Kenya. People are taking advantage of the internet to do so, creating massive wealth and escaping poverty as it is. Kenyan citizens are urged to be at the forefront of not relying on their active income and consider doing both.


Mobi is here to improve the way Kenyans move in ride-hailing and earn an extra coin. Download the app here and enjoy the Mobi benefits!

Sign up for more like this

Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
Harnessing the power of startups for good.


Licenced by the Communications Authority of Kenya (CAK)